1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
First name – no; middle name from Dad.
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
My friend Frank was 70 and I met him twice a month for lunch for 10 years. Even though he was almost twice my age he was one of my closest friends. He died yesterday – I cried.
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
I do because everyone can read it… gotta have pride in what you do, people.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
Lunch meat scares me – I like steak or chicken breast.
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
I do; two beautiful, brilliant girls.
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
Absolutely. I am an AWESOME friend to have – extremely loyal and honest.
7. DO YOU HAVE SIBLINGS?
Yes I do; one brother.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS?
Yes, and they’re awesome as far as I can tell.
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
I have bungee jumped – once off a bridge, once off a crane-type thing.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL?
Boo-Berry… I hear it’s made a come-back.
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
Don’t start with me. I just love the way the plastic thingy in the back digs into my ankle after 3 months – I never untie them.
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG?
Physically, yes. Emotionally, yes. Psychologically, I would say yes if you made me answer – but it’s a reluctant yes.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM?
Peanut Butter (homemade).
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
Well, the first thing I notice is looks – but the first thing I notice that really matters deeply to me is manners.
15. RED OR PINK?
Red – all the way. I have nothing against PINK, though. Red is just my favorite color (well, burgundy anyway…)
16. WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF?
As I enter my 40’s, my body is a lot more prone to injury. I sprained my neck sleeping last week. It’s all going to hell.
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST?
18. WHAT IS YOUR ZODIAC SIGN?
Leo (I think) I’m not 100% positive anymore – the zodiac changed.
19. DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE PAIR OF SHOES?
No I don’t – one pair of sneakers, one pair of sandals, etc. Where I’m going (beach, store, restaurant, backyard) dictates what I wear – no favorites. But if I had more than one of each type I probably would. I have a pair of dress shoes I prefer over other dress shoes but not overall favorite footwear per se...
20. FAVORITE MEAL?
It’s a tie – English-style fish and chips or sushi.
21. FAVORITE GENRE OF MUSIC?
Singer/Songwriter (think Colin Hay) World (think Gaelic Storm)
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE?
I could go grab a box now and find one I liked but instead… when I was a kid, my brother and I would root through a big toy box full of LEGOs and build shit for hours. Every now and then while looking for a certain piece (we had to have) we would expose this puny, broken crayon at the bottom of the LEGO bin. The crayon was never removed by us and we would laugh and point it out every time it would pop back up. It became a kind of talisman – the toy box talisman (new blog post?) The color of that fragment was “Burnt Umber.” Haven’t thought of that for years… so, Burnt Umber…
23. FAVORITE SMELLS?
Burning leaves… Baby Powder… Angel (perfume)… Guinness (the stout not the book)… although I like the smell of the pages of a new book too… when I was a kid I used to practically huff the freshly mimeographed handouts in grade school. Anyone remember that? The purple ink, the damp pages…
23b. SMELLS YOU HAVEN'T SMELLED BUT WANT TO
Fairy Fart Incense sticks... Jamie, I can't believe that's a real thing but I Googled it and... it is!
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE?
25. MOUNTAIN HIDEAWAY OR BEACH HOUSE?
Hideaway if there’s acreage to go with it. Beach house if not…
26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
1. Rugby… 2. American Football…
27. HAIR COLOR?
Dark, dark brown
28. EYE COLOR?
Dark, dark brown
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS?
Yes. I also have glasses.
30. FAVORITE HEIRLOOM?
There are four – a clock from the 1700’s, a purple heart from WWII, a family bible from my great-great grandparents, and a microscope (in a wooden case) from the early 1900’s… my grandmother always waved around a handkerchief from some distant relative... I turned it down - I couldn't get past the idea of ancient snot... I think my brother got it.
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS?
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
Goodbye, Lenin! (I like non-US films with subtitles) no one will watch them with me. Everyone thinks it’s stupid to read a movie… oh well.
33. FAVORITE ARTICLE OF CLOTHING?
My gray pullover.
34. SUMMER OR WINTER?
Of these two, summer… but really autumn…
35. HUGS OR KISSES?
Hugs when they last…
36. FAVORITE DESSERT?
Homemade Strawberry Pie
37. STRENGTH TRAINING OR CARDIO?
Cardio – I like running.
38. COMPUTER OR TELEVISION?
Both at the same time… I multitask.
39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW?
I’m not – I’m writing one. I can’t get into a book while I’m writing – it throws me off…? If I were to pick one up it would probably be Albert Brooks' "2030."
40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
Don’t have one (laptop)… but if I did, I would want it to be leather.
42. FAVORITE SOUND?
My girls laughing…
43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES?
44. WHAT IS YOUR DREAM CAR?
Don’t really have one but it would probably be something European and sleek/fast… I prefer nimble, quick, and elegant over muscle.
45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT?
Rather quick-witted, usually funny (I think) and I can flip you off with my foot… special, huh?
46. WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
47. WHERE ARE YOU LIVING NOW?
48. WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST FEAR?
Failing to succeed and letting down my friends/family
49. WHAT BRINGS YOU THE MOST JOY?
Knowing my girls have the largest margin for success I can manage…
50. WHAT PIECE OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO YOUR YOUNG SELF?
1. Stop worrying so much about all that shit… you have no idea how little it will matter in the long run/big picture. 2. Start answering questions in TCS now so you can hit level 15 before you’re 90.